/ Background /
Indonesia has the 4th largest population in the world (260 million). With 132 million of internet user ( 3rd largest market in Asia ), meaning the internet penetration rate is only around 50%, leaving a lot of untapped opportunities in this mobile first country. Moreover, Firefox Desktop browser still have strong presence in Indonesia, and Android browser market is not dominated by one single browser yet. These make Indonesia a good place to test some new ideas. My role in this project is to define pain points and opportunities from Indonesia and then provide new product and marketing directions.
/ Company /
/ Role /
Field research in Indonesia / Concept generation / Survey design / User Testing / Video editing
/ FIELD RESEARCH IN INDONESIA /
/ Pain points & Opportunities /
- Top-up mindset : People’s plans often revolve around the amount of money they have in their pocket right now. This reflects in various goods and services that come in little pack and people can buy more when needed. For example, people would buy mobile phone with affordable internal memory and then buy another SD card to increase storage. And the amount of mobile data topped-up i depends on the amount of money they can afford. Pre-paid gives people the control on expenses, so that people won't over spent.
- Indonesian are very sensitive about their mobile phone internal storage and constantly delete apps, caches, history, in order to free up more space and speed up mobile phone as well.
- Poor and unstable internet network results in slow internet browsing experience and this influence how people use mobile. What people care the most is " FAST ", meaning launching the app faster, opening web pages faster, download file faster.
- People prefer downloading video than streaming, because by doing so, user can watch videos without any interruption caused by poor infrastructure. At the same time, skipping all the advertisement and save mobile data spending ( Can watch many times after downloaded, and share with friends and families )
- Advertisements on the internet is ubiquitous, on mobile it even more obvious within such a small screen, and it's really easy to click on it accidentally with fingers reluctantly. Advertisement not only makes browsing experience annoying, it also costs mobile data.
- Indonesia is a rather collective society, people put high trust in friends and family, and they serve a primary influencing role in people’s information ecosystem. Friends and family are a lot more important than self-directed search or even the media. Adopt the trend when their friends all use it, and leave when their friends have all left. It's safer to be on the same boat, rather than left alone.
- Screenshot is an offline visual bookmark that’s easy to access and universally understood. It serves as a proof that something have happened like transaction, chat history. As a reminder to self like shopping items or recipe. As a reading list, screenshot 5-6 times to capture the entire webpage to read it later. Screenshot is seen as an useful tool for saving data and an action to prevent foreseeable internet disconnection.
- People are thirsty for and harbor positive feelings toward technology and the internet. They see the internet not only as a gateway to connect with the entire world, but also a tool which can extract its opportunities and benefit, progressing toward a better life.
- It's important for digital product to have physical presence in everyday environment, because this is not only fighting for eyeball impression, but also people's trust toward a brands. People believe in brands that have advertisement appear on roads and on TV, because that means the company must have a lot of money to do so, and therefore more trustworthy.
/ FIREFOX ROCKET tailor-made for Indonesia/
Lightweight and Lightning Fast
The apk size is only 2.39MB, means it takes up almost no space on user's phone. And Turbo Mode means lightning fast browsing and downloading.
Save data and cash
Save on data costs with Turbo mode, which blocks unwanted ads and trackers. User can enable " Image blocking " to save even more data.
Block ad trackers
Block unwanted ad trackers and save data cost at the same time.
Screenshot the entire page
In two taps, user can save the whole screen to read offline afterwards. And a website link is automatically saved too, so that users can easily get back to the original source with one simple click.
Preserve phone space
Clear cache straight from the menu to free up storage space fast. Or in settings, user can save cache and downloads straight to an SD Card.
Single hand browsing experience
With the search bar at center stage, and the menu at the bottom of the screen, everything user wants to do is right at the fingertips even with one hand.
/ Google play store product marketing design /
/ FIREFOX ROcket ANDROID app design /
/ Marketing swag design /
These swags are for marketing campaign purpose, we decide to go for items that people would use in daily life, let users be our best advocate and moveable advertisement, including raincoat, umbrella, t-shirt, car stickers.